Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Thank you Kindle. A little bit of notice would be nice...

... Firstly my apologies (once again) for my lack of blogging. The reason being that I am still hammering away at the final installment of The Facebook Killer (Part 2). It's not easy to dream up fifteen perfect murders, it takes time. When I began writing, I just wrote. I didn't breathe, eat or drink. I just wrote. I have now evolved into a method writer. If I am writing a chapter where the character is angry, I must be angry, or it doesn't work. If he is depressed, then I have to be depressed also.

But bloody Kindle dont think about this, do they? NO. They decide in their wisdom to bang "The Facebook Killer: Part One"  out for free. Yes. FREE! Today. No warning. No email. No... Is part 2 finished yet? Even though it says at the end of part one: "Part 2 will be available for purchase on August 31st. BUT IT IS NOT!!!  I haven't bloody finished it yet. Talk about putting the pressure on.

At noon today, I decided to check my Kindle account. I have been lulled into a false sense of security selling around one book a day in the US and UK. I could handle that because part 2 was going to be the money spinner. 12:00 noon: UK sales = 176. 1:00pm = 250. So on and so forth. The book is now being downloaded at the rate of 100 copies per hour...FREE!

Now don't get me wrong, the loss of earnings isn't the problem. It's the timing and lack of warning. The book is now number 4 in the free thriller list and number 44 in the overall free books. Great advertising, but by god, I'm not ready yet. I reckon by midnight I will have an extra 1,000 readers in the UK.

"Dear Kindle Readers. I realise that at the end of the manuscript, The Facebook Killer: Part 1, it states that Part 2 should be available now. However due to technical difficulties and some old bird called Rowling harrassing me for new ideas, I am afraid you will have to wait another week."

Should you have any complaints regarding the situation, please contact Kindledontknowtheirarsefromtheirelbow.com

2 comments:

SBJones said...

Humm. Better step it up. 100 copies and hour is a lot but not enough. You have less than 2600 hours left before Christmas. Gonna have to double that if you want to make half a million.

Kate Aaron said...

your book is listed for free on smashwords, and therefore everyone in their distribution channel. Amazon periodically check if books are cheaper elsewhere, and if they find them they'll price match them without informing you.