Wednesday, July 13, 2011

DAY 12 IN THE BIG EBOOK EXPERIMENTAL HOUSE.

    OK, I'm going to cut past the percentages and statistics today. What have I learned in the past 12 days? Now I know I am repeating myself here, but as a newly self-published author the only way I can get my work out there is to give it away, free-of-charge. I know that some of you won't like this point, but it is the truth! Get your books on smashwords and give them away. As of this moment, I have just under 200 readers. I have earned around $2 in royalties and I've spent a hell of a lot on my satellite connection, but at least I'm being read. I hope that when I publish the second part of The Facebook Killer, the 170 readers, who have so far downloaded it, may come back to buy the next installment. By then I hope it's 300 readers and I may still only sell 100 copies.

    Smashwords free ISBN numbers should be available in the next day or so. Once you obtain these, your books will be available to Apple, Sony & Borders. You can also upload advertising to Google Books (but not without an ISBN).

    I know I said I wouldn't mention statistics, but the mad professor in me won't allow it. In 12 days my readership has increased by 20,000 %. Now I know that from 1 book to 200 books appears a small leap in this timescale, especially when some authors are selling 1,500 per day, but you work it out. If your product, your book, is good and you can maintain a fraction of this daily increase. You will be onto a winner. Keep writing, keep publishing and keep your chin up.

    I feel that I have come to an impass until my books receive their ISBN and are forwarded to Apple & Sony. All I can give you are the results from Kindle and Smashwords, which is steady, but frankly boring as ****. I can see why authors create their own or bribe others to submit reviews of their books, but I have vowed not to go down this route and I am a man of my word. So what next? I need a kickstart. A rocket.
I need to "distribute" another 499,700 books before Christmas.

    Watch this space because tomorrow I'm going for it big time.



   

1 comment:

SBJones said...

You will have to keep a log of what you are doing and where you are doing it. That way we can see what parts of your efforts returned the largest gain.